14 Health Benefits of Copper Water
Ayurveda recommends a simple, practical and effective way of drinking water in it's most natural form- out of a copper vessel. Copper is an essential component of a healthy mineral balance in the body and is unfortunately lacking in today's standard diets. Drinking copper water is an excellent way to benefit from it's multitude of health benefits and it is also the purest water you can drink, one which will also never go stale. [yes, water can go stale!]
1. Copper water positively charges water. This charge balances the three Doshas, or basic nature(s) that govern our bodies [Vata, Pitta, Kapha] which in turn balances our entire system, helping us feel grounded, focussed, well rested and energetic.
2. Storing water in a copper vessel sterilizes the water and destroys bacteria, viruses and microbes very effectively. It is especially effective agains E.coli and S.aureus, commonly found in our environment and known pathogens that cause severe illness. Copper water is among the purest water you can drink and it in fact a method of water sterilization in areas of poor sanitation.
3. Copper water is a great detoxifier for the body. It helps regulate the functioning of your liver and kidneys, helps with proper elimination of waste, the absorption of nutrients from food, helps cleanse your stomach, stimulates peristalsis for proper bowel functions and helps reduce inflammation in the stomach as well, which manages ulcers, indigestion and infections. Digestion is improved and acidity, gas or the inability to digest certain foods will improve.
4. Copper helps your body break down fat and eliminate the unnecessary more efficiently, helping the body lose excess weight naturally.
5. Copper is one of the most important trace minerals needed for proper thyroid function. Drinking copper water therefore helps regulate both hyperthyroidism [excessive levels of thyroid hormone] and hypothyroidism [low levels of thyroid hormone] by making up for possible deficiencies and helping regulate thyroid function.
6. According to the American Cancer Society, copper has been found to help regulate blood pressure and heart rate as well as lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels. It helps prevent the accumulation of plaque in the system by regulating how cholesterol is used in the body and has been documented to have an effect on dilating blood vessels, improving blood flow to the heart and minimizing the risk of heart disease.
7. Copper's strong anti-oxidant properties help fight off free radicals, one of the main reasons for aging. It helps in the production of new and healthy skin cells, in turn reducing the appearance of fine lines on your face.
8. It is a great tool for helping wounds to heal quickly due to its immense anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties. Since it helps in the production of new cells, it helps strengthen the immune system and heal the body from within.
9. Copper improves your digestive functioning, which in turn helps your body break down fat and eliminate it more efficiently. Drinking copper water helps your body detox from what it no longer needs, allowing the body to rid itself of toxins and shed unnecessary weight.
10. Copper's anti-inflammatory and immune strengthening properties give relief to the aches and pains of the joints caused by arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis, and also support the strengthening of bones.
11. A main component in the production of melanin, copper support the production of new cells that help replenish the outermost layers of the skin. It protects against sun damage, speeds up wound healing, repairs scars and calms blemishes, improving the radiance of your skin.
12. Copper helps keep the haeme [iron] levels in our blood up and regulates the flow in our blood vessels, which has a positive effect on anaemia.
13. Copper helps in the body's synthesis of phospholipids, an essential function that produces myelin sheath - the conductive fat layer that surrounds the neurons in our brains. The brain's impulses are transmitted from neuron to neuron through a synapse, or jump, and it is the fatty myelin sheath that helps this flow happen quickly. Healthy copper levels in the body help your brain work much faster and much more efficiently.
14. Copper is grounding. In today's day in age, our minds cannot and do not stay still, our thoughts are everywhere and we can find it difficult to focus. Because copper is so conducive, it helps ground and calm you down, reducing anxiety and lowering stress. Being grounded helps you think, make better decisions, breathe deeper and feel more balanced overall.
Because copper is required in most of our body's processes - from proper cell formation to optimal iron absorption - it is an essential mineral for the efficient functioning of our body. Having a copper water ritual is an easy way to remind yourself to hydrate first thing in the morning [always room temperature] and carrying a copper bottle with you during the day helps you avoid the toxins associated with plastic bottles, all while benefitting from all of its health benefits and looking hecka chic.
To make copper water, clean your copper cup, jar, bowl or vessel and fill with filtered water, leaving it to sit covered for at least 8 hours, or overnight. Drink first think in the morning to benefit from it's properties.
Copper naturally oxidizes and darkens over time. If your vessel becomes tarnished [which it will..] simply scrub it with half of a lemon / lemon juice, a paste of baking soda and water left to sit for a few minutes, or clean with tamarind pulp to restore the shine and leave your copper cup like new.
To your health!
Details for this post were found at thehealthsite.com.